So today was the day I had to take my first of two Dukarol vaccines. These vaccines are taken orally. You mix a packet of raspberry sodium bicarbonate with a vial of inactive traveller's diarrhea and cholera vaccine, and 150mL of water then you're good to go. I was really nervous leading up to it, and then I caught a whiff of its delectable aroma. It smelled exactly like Raspberry Ice Crystal Light (one of my faves)! So I was like "Yeah! Let's get this Dukarol party started." So, then I took a big gulp. BLEH! It tasted what I would imagine that the drool of someone who just drank Raspberry Ice Crystal Light, and then added a bunch of salt. I stared down the glass for a few minutes trying to figure out what to do next. I then distracted myself by reading the rather large information sheet that it comes with. Apparently to prevent traveller's diarrhea you may be so lucky to enjoy the same symptoms back at home from taking the vaccine. Iroooonnnny. I then had this not so fabulous idea, where I try to do Dukarol shots. Definitely not as enjoyable as Tequila. I settled on the straw method. So I choked down my Dukarol through a straw standing in my kitchen. I also whined to myself out loud, and now I'm whining on the interweb. I don't feel bad about this whining though, because you guys chose to read it!
Super stoked to take my second dose next week......NAWT! Ke garne.
*Ke garne Is the Nepali phrase that means "what to do?" in a "it happens" sort of way. *
The main food I'll be eating in Nepal is daal bhaat. That is rice and lentils with lightly curried veggies. Utensils are not used, but instead, you roll the mixture into small lumps with your right hand. Then you feed yourself by pushing the ball of food off of your fingers with your thumb. I plan on drinking lots of chiya (the nepali equivalent of Chai tea) and staying away from maasu (meat). In northern Nepal they drink their tea with yak butter and salt. Peculiar.
Nepal runs on a lunar calendar, their new years is mid-April. So I will be there during Baisakh (April-May) and Jestha (May-June). So I guess my 20th birthday will be happening on Jestha 7 in the year 2068. That sounds pretty cool.
11 days 22 hours and 37 minutes.
I didn't find the Dukarol that bad. Kinda of like Raspberry Gingerale I thought. What I did find was I was spacey and lightheaded after taking it!
ReplyDeleteDukarol is no match for Oil of Oregano. That stuff actually burns. The worst is knowing you have to take it again!
ReplyDeleteHmm, I actually rather enjoy Oil of Oregano...I think the burn makes it better. I definitely felt spacey and lightheaded after taking it too, and this morning when I woke up I felt hungover. It was weird.
ReplyDelete