Saturday, June 11, 2011

Oh Canada, how I missed you!

Our final day in Nepal, we packed and repacked until all of our stuff fit into two evenly weighted bags each. After much organizing and final gift shopping we finally had time to get ready for our last night celebrations. At about 5:30 we peered out our second floor balcony to see that 30 chairs had been set up in our front courtyard. At 6 we walk down stairs and await our guests. Rona from the day centre was the first to arrive, but was shortly followed by everyone who supported us getting to Nepal and while we were there. We were served an absolutely delicious Daal Bhat dinner prepared by Chandra, everyone sat in small clumps of chairs having lively conversations about our time in Nepal, world politics, and the similarities and differences between Nepal and Canada. After we were stuffed with delicious food, Gerrit made a speech. He said thank you to everyone and a few other things. Unfortunately, for those of us not fluent in Nepali, much was lost. However, Gerrit did an amazing job at delivering a Nepali speech. Next, we were all given certificates of thanks on behalf of AAN as well as the silk buddha scarves from the principals of both SEB and HHCA. After we were thanked, it was time for us to take the stage. On Man's request, we each stepped in front of the crowd, one by one to say a few words. With no preparation, they were short, but they were heartfelt, thankful, and showed how much we were all going to miss Nepal when we came home. Robin and Patti did a thank you to everyone from Camosun, and then Gocool played my Field School song for the crowd.

After everyone left, we had a few beers and went to bed.

The next day was full of last minute packing and goodbyes as well as frantic searching for items we haven't known the whereabouts of since first moving in. Just before going to the airport Tilock, Chandra, and Gocool presented us with marigold garlands and gave us Tikkas. It was very nice. Brushing away our tears we helped load all of our luggage onto the roof of our bus and drove to the airport.

The airport was, once again, crazy. We walked in with all of our luggage and placed it on the conveyor belt. While it was being scanned, we got a pat down and walked through a metal detector. Then we grabbed our luggage, placed it back on our carts and headed towards check-in. Along the way, porters kept trying to weasel their way into helping you with your luggage for a fee. We were well trained to say no thank you, keep a tight hold on our luggage, and ignore their advances. At the counter we checked-in and checked our baggage all the way to Victoria. The woman at the desk gave me a knowing look when she saw the weight of my luggage, but smiled and let me check it without extra charge.

We then grabbed some water at the small shop, placed our marigolds in a basket and took the escalator upstairs to the immigration area. At that point we filled out our departure cards and got in the foreigners line. And, after about 45 min (i think) we were let through and into the departures area. I had a Nepali conversation with the guard, it was great! We hung out in the waiting area for another half hour before we went through another security check point. Once again, our bags were scanned and we were patted down. Grabbing our bags again, we now headed to the departures gate area. We found our gate and showed our tickets to the woman at the door and entered the packed waiting room. Inside was quite busy, only a few westerners. There was a group of refugees who had left a refugee camp in Bhutan and who were some of thousands being relocated throughout the world. I'm not sure where they were going, but there were going to be 5000 coming to Canada, a few thousand to Finland, some to England and I think 6000 going to the US. Lots of global movement for them. I don't believe that they had really seen planes before. As a plane took off, they all rushed to one of the windows to watch it with wide eyes. For me, it was reminiscent of the first time I flew. We were about a half hour or 45 minutes late boarding after a final pat down check and a walk across the tarmac to our awaiting plane.

The plane ride itself was quite uneventful, I sat next to Amanda again! I ate some midnight food (there's no meal that falls at that time in non-plane land) while watching Monsters, Inc. and then fell asleep. Next thing I remember is hearing the announcement saying that the plane will be landing in Hong Kong in half an hour.

Once in Hong Kong, Gerrit, Tina, and I decided not to go into the city, but to stay and hang out in the airport for the day. We went through security again and then power walked to Starbucks. Coffee and some delicious sandwiches were exactly what we needed. We spent a bit of time sitting at one of the gates nearby playing on our ipods, but then it started to get really busy. We wandered around and found some extremely comfortable chairs by the food court. Tina took a nap and I read. We basically sat there all day until about an hour and a half before our flight. Then, we headed down to Gate 31 to await our flight. We sat at Gate 32 because there was nobody there and we could stretch out and relax but were still close enough to hear announcements and see when everyone was lining up.

I had a window seat on the way home and no friends in my row. Tina and Gerrit were in front of me, so I could chat to them every so often to check-in. There was one other man in my row, but he fell asleep almost immediately. I sprawled out over two seats and played on my ipod and watched some tv. I eventually fell asleep too!

We finally landed in Vancouver and Tina and I made another Starbucks run. Then, we freshened up a bit in the bathroom and camped out at our gate. We only had about an hour to wait until our 20 minutes flight home. The flight attendant was super grumpy on our way home, and when we got off the plane in Victoria, the people who met the plane were talking about how he's always grumpy. The flight was uneventful, except that it was about 20 minutes late leaving. We arrived home to our families and friends waiting for us, holding signs, and cheering. Or atleast, I think I heard cheering :) It only took a few minutes to collect our luggage and we were parting ways.

For me, coming home was a lot less stressful than I thought it would be. My mom cut up some fruit and veggies, threw some cheese and delicious bread on a plate and we were good to go. I showed off my photos and gave some gifts. Then, I watched some Grey's Anatomy and off to bed!

So far, culture shock coming home hasn't been that crazy. Grocery stores are a little ridiculous in comparison and people seem to ignore me everywhere I go, instead of staring at me. I'm used to smiling at children and then have them talk to me or smile back, but today I smiled at a child and she ran away. I also can't stop the head wobble when I say yes....it's getting a little confusing.

I tried to make chiya a couple of times. As of yet, it hasn't been as good as Chandra's, but it is getting better each time (if I don't count this morning's pot). Tonight's challenge....Momos.


Thank you everyone who supported me on this trip. Whether you were in Canada or Kathmandu, you helped me make this trip what it was. I can't believe I am home already, but it just means that there are fewer days between now and the day that I will one day go back. I can't wait to see everybody and share my stories and hear yours.

This is my last post for Nepal so dhanyabad (thank you) for following my journey and I hope you had fun, because I sure had fun sharing it.

Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Steph, your writing was very entertaining and descriptive; I was quite envious of your experience every time I read a post!
    Kristin (CFCS Dept. Instructor)

    ReplyDelete