I walked home alone from school for the first time today. And it was the first time that I feared for my life the entire time in Nepal. No, there wasn't a riot, or a large group of armed police officers, oh no. There were two of the biggest cows I had ever seen. I was nearly home and decided to take my usual shortcut across a grassy space instead of walking all the way around. I saw the two cows munching on some grass, figured they were harmless as people walk near them all the time. Of course, as I am strolling between them they turn towards me (Clearly sensing my lack of desire to eat them or any of their kind and accepting me as a friend) and started to move, at an alarming pace. I scurried out of their way tripping and fumbling with the bag and scarf I was wearing. The cows brushed up against each other and let out deep echoing mooos and went back to munching. I started laughing. Then I heard other laughter, I looked up and there were about 6 -8 locals standing around giggling at what they had just witnessed. Fabulous. Love leaving a lasting memory in the minds of the neighbourhood.
It was our last day at school today. This morning, Amanda and I walked to school and hung out with the kindies. We met Gerrit, Teloc, and Stephanie there. Stephanie had fundraised money and decided to use it to buy some school supplies for the HHCA children. Last night, we put together 230 pencil case packages. Today, we were delivering them. We delivered them to all the children in the school and you could feel the excitement in the air. Amanda and I returned to our little ones and sang lots of songs and played games. It was sad to see them go. But according to one of the teachers they were telling her how much they loved me and were going to miss me.
At lunch Amanda and I went and bought some candy from the store next door to bring home and to some of the children at the school. We met Gerrit outside the store as we were digging through our bags of sugary treasure. While we were sitting outside sipping our cool beverages we were privy to pieces of Nepal life that I had yet to see. A man (smelling of liquor, who admitted he was drunk) came up to us and started ranting in part Nepali and part English. He talked to us for a good 5 minutes while shopkeepers and passers-by giggled at our luck. Then, once he left, a group of 6 women shielded from the sun by umbrellas stopped to talk to us. They told us that they were Christians. They were going door to door with pamphlets....somewhat similar to the Jehova's Witnesses at home.
It is boiling today. So hot! I nearly melted on my way home, and am looking forward to writing my next journal entry for Patti and Robin in the coolness of my room. Tomorrow, we are off to Chitwan which is supposed to be about 10 degrees hotter than Kathmandu. It's a 5 hour car ride to get there and then we get to do everything from Elephant rides to jeep jungle tours, to nature walks. Fabulous!
Today, I started my malaria meds. No crazy reactions yet, except that I was absolutely exhausted all day today(after taking the meds). So hopefully, I am not tired for the next 33 days, because that would not be very fun at all. If anything, I'm hoping for some crazy dreams (one of the common side effects).
The political situation has mellowed out. All of the maoist leader's vehicles are going to be registered (as most of them are stolen), the police chief (corrupt) must step down, and the constitution is to be finished in 3 months. Who knows exactly what of this will actually take place, but it will be interesting to follow the outcomes when I come home.
In one week, I'll be in the Vancouver airport waiting for my flight to Victoria, probably drinking a Starbucks iced coffee and reading a paper and dreaming of a shower that I don't have to squeegee the floor after.
Namaste
It was our last day at school today. This morning, Amanda and I walked to school and hung out with the kindies. We met Gerrit, Teloc, and Stephanie there. Stephanie had fundraised money and decided to use it to buy some school supplies for the HHCA children. Last night, we put together 230 pencil case packages. Today, we were delivering them. We delivered them to all the children in the school and you could feel the excitement in the air. Amanda and I returned to our little ones and sang lots of songs and played games. It was sad to see them go. But according to one of the teachers they were telling her how much they loved me and were going to miss me.
At lunch Amanda and I went and bought some candy from the store next door to bring home and to some of the children at the school. We met Gerrit outside the store as we were digging through our bags of sugary treasure. While we were sitting outside sipping our cool beverages we were privy to pieces of Nepal life that I had yet to see. A man (smelling of liquor, who admitted he was drunk) came up to us and started ranting in part Nepali and part English. He talked to us for a good 5 minutes while shopkeepers and passers-by giggled at our luck. Then, once he left, a group of 6 women shielded from the sun by umbrellas stopped to talk to us. They told us that they were Christians. They were going door to door with pamphlets....somewhat similar to the Jehova's Witnesses at home.
It is boiling today. So hot! I nearly melted on my way home, and am looking forward to writing my next journal entry for Patti and Robin in the coolness of my room. Tomorrow, we are off to Chitwan which is supposed to be about 10 degrees hotter than Kathmandu. It's a 5 hour car ride to get there and then we get to do everything from Elephant rides to jeep jungle tours, to nature walks. Fabulous!
Today, I started my malaria meds. No crazy reactions yet, except that I was absolutely exhausted all day today(after taking the meds). So hopefully, I am not tired for the next 33 days, because that would not be very fun at all. If anything, I'm hoping for some crazy dreams (one of the common side effects).
The political situation has mellowed out. All of the maoist leader's vehicles are going to be registered (as most of them are stolen), the police chief (corrupt) must step down, and the constitution is to be finished in 3 months. Who knows exactly what of this will actually take place, but it will be interesting to follow the outcomes when I come home.
In one week, I'll be in the Vancouver airport waiting for my flight to Victoria, probably drinking a Starbucks iced coffee and reading a paper and dreaming of a shower that I don't have to squeegee the floor after.
Namaste
No comments:
Post a Comment