SEB school parents' day was incredible. We walked there and arrived at around 11 am, of course running on Nepali time, the event didn't get underway until closer to 11:45am. We never expected what we were about the experience. We sat through until 4 pm, all while enjoying amazing dancing, singing and a skit. These students were very committed to putting on the best performance possible. Not only did their performance showcase Nepal's culture, but we listened to 5 hours of Nepali. My Nepali ear is getting much stronger and I am able to pick out key words and phrases. At one point, a teacher and 2 students made their way through a crowd of 500 people sitting on plastic chairs under a giant tent serving chiya and biscuits. It took them atleast an hour, if not longer - but it was delicious! This parents' day outdid anything I have ever experienced in Canada, professional or amateur.
Sunday, we went to the Social Work College. It is a very young college, but has many big dreams. The students are placed in incredible practicums working all over Nepal. It is mandatory for them to do one remote practicum in a small village. Awesome! There are over 30, 000 NGOs in Nepal, some of which were founded by these social work graduates. Others are practicum placements for these students. We participated in one discussion about the cultural similarities and differences before lunch. At lunch we had wonderful daal bhat, and more discussion. After lunch, we attended a Volunteersim and Civics class, where we had a very indepth and mature discussion (unlike many I've experienced back at home in school). After class, we were invited for chiya, donuts, and samosas. I think I talk a lot about food in my blog, but you can't help it when the samosas are the best you've had, and the donuts blow timmies out of the water.
Yesterday, was the first day at school that I didn't feel like I had no idea what was going on. In the morning we were invited for tea at the house of the other volunteers. We talked a lot about toursit sites, the culture and the educational philosophy of the school. It was quite enlightening. Then, Amanda and I were given a schedule to follow for the day. We taught english classes and social studies classes. And did quite a good job, if I do say so myself. The teachers think it's a joke when we say we're not teachers and so we get no help from them. They laugh harder the more we try to tell them that we're not teachers and that we aren't here to teach their english classes for them. So much for just being an assistant in the class.
That night, we had a two hour nepali lesson where we learned soooooo much. It's great. Then, we had a big dinner with all the teachers and a bunch of students from the social work college. It was an exhausting day, and when we finally got to bed I fell asleep within seconds.
Today has been pretty relaxing. Walked to school, got an actual schedule, taught a class, visited the Day Centre where Steph and Caroline are working, and came back to school and ate some lunch. The afternoon was a little more challenging. Amanda, Gerrit, and I were told to teach Social studies 9 then 10. In the first class one of the students got the teacher because we didn't know what to teach as it was Nepal's history and in the second class I taught Canadian history. Which was fun (Amanda said that I rocked it!). I'm disappointed to be teaching. I like it, but it's definitely not what I came here to do. But, it's what I'm stuck with for the next month, so I might as well think about it positively!!
Tonight we have another nepali lesson and hopefully early to bed!!!
If you don't already know, Camosun is creating a blog about the Nepal trip. It has some pictures as well as some information about the trip so far. This is the link http://nepalinternationalfieldschool2011.blogspot.com/
Hope Canada isn't too cold!
Namaste
Sunday, we went to the Social Work College. It is a very young college, but has many big dreams. The students are placed in incredible practicums working all over Nepal. It is mandatory for them to do one remote practicum in a small village. Awesome! There are over 30, 000 NGOs in Nepal, some of which were founded by these social work graduates. Others are practicum placements for these students. We participated in one discussion about the cultural similarities and differences before lunch. At lunch we had wonderful daal bhat, and more discussion. After lunch, we attended a Volunteersim and Civics class, where we had a very indepth and mature discussion (unlike many I've experienced back at home in school). After class, we were invited for chiya, donuts, and samosas. I think I talk a lot about food in my blog, but you can't help it when the samosas are the best you've had, and the donuts blow timmies out of the water.
Yesterday, was the first day at school that I didn't feel like I had no idea what was going on. In the morning we were invited for tea at the house of the other volunteers. We talked a lot about toursit sites, the culture and the educational philosophy of the school. It was quite enlightening. Then, Amanda and I were given a schedule to follow for the day. We taught english classes and social studies classes. And did quite a good job, if I do say so myself. The teachers think it's a joke when we say we're not teachers and so we get no help from them. They laugh harder the more we try to tell them that we're not teachers and that we aren't here to teach their english classes for them. So much for just being an assistant in the class.
That night, we had a two hour nepali lesson where we learned soooooo much. It's great. Then, we had a big dinner with all the teachers and a bunch of students from the social work college. It was an exhausting day, and when we finally got to bed I fell asleep within seconds.
Today has been pretty relaxing. Walked to school, got an actual schedule, taught a class, visited the Day Centre where Steph and Caroline are working, and came back to school and ate some lunch. The afternoon was a little more challenging. Amanda, Gerrit, and I were told to teach Social studies 9 then 10. In the first class one of the students got the teacher because we didn't know what to teach as it was Nepal's history and in the second class I taught Canadian history. Which was fun (Amanda said that I rocked it!). I'm disappointed to be teaching. I like it, but it's definitely not what I came here to do. But, it's what I'm stuck with for the next month, so I might as well think about it positively!!
Tonight we have another nepali lesson and hopefully early to bed!!!
If you don't already know, Camosun is creating a blog about the Nepal trip. It has some pictures as well as some information about the trip so far. This is the link http://nepalinternationalfieldschool2011.blogspot.com/
Hope Canada isn't too cold!
Namaste
No comments:
Post a Comment