The plan. On April 29th, 2011 I will jump on a quick flight from Victoria to Vancouver to start off my adventure of epic proportions. I plan on napping until approximately 2:45 am when I board a flight to Hong Kong. After some air time we will land in Hong Kong for a 12 hour layover. I can't wait to get lost in the airport. Tina suggested bringing walkie talkies incase we get lost, I think it's a good idea. Then we have a short flight to Kathmandu, Nepal. We will stay there for 4 days, 1 week, and 1 month (Approx. 6 weeks). During this time we will be living in a house as a group. By day we will be working in the suburbs at orphanages, schools, daycares, etc. and by night we'll be spending time with each other reflecting on our day and having fun. Sounds like a great reality TV show to me. We'll have the opportunity to explore the surrounding area, connect with the community, enhance our skills and test our personal strength. At the end of the 6 weeks we will go to Chitwan National Park and enjoy an elephant ride and other adventures. We arrive back on canadian soil on June 9th, 2011.
Today we had our pre-departure mandatory orientation. We were told a lot about things to pack, stuff to watch out for, and did a few activities. We talked about culture shock and reintegration to canadian society. I think that it wasn't the most effective use of our time, maybe spending more small group time doing teambuilding activities and group bonding would be useful. That way when we are in Nepal and need to rely on our support system, we know who we can rely on and understand how our team functions. But you know me, I've always been a strong supporter of lots and lots of teambuilding.
Lunch was provided, and they remembered us vegetarians!!! People in my group seem quite concerned about our diet in Nepal as there is little meat and lots of lentils, rice and vegetables. I don't see the problem.
So I guess with this whole blog thing, I'll keep it updated as I prepare for my trip and then attempt to update it regularly once I'm in Nepal.
I am officially a blogger.
33 days!
Kathmandu, Nepal

Looks good! might want to do something to the font so that it shows up better...
ReplyDeleteI'll have one to link to yours soon. ~ Tina